Buttery croissants baked in a delicious almond custard baked with layers of a berry cream cheese topped with sweet juicy berries! This Almond Berry Cream French Toast is a decadent breakfast perfect for weekend brunch!
Baked French toast can be made with pretty much any of your favorite breads from brioche, challah (my favorite), croissant or thick texas toast but making this recipe with croissants will change your life. The French toast is soft, buttery, flakey, and the true definition of buttery perfection! Words truly cannot describe just how good this Almond Berry Cream French Toast is. Of course the croissant itself is buttery and flaky, but the berry
- It’s best to use day-old croissants if possible. That way they will soak up the custard a little better and end up with a better textured, puffed French toast that isn’t too soggy because we don’t want that.
- This recipe can easily be made the night before which is great when you want to have something ready first thing in the morning. All you’ve got to do is pop it right in the oven in the morning and you’re good to go!
- Let the french toast bake soak for 1-2 hours minimum. This is a very important step, the longer you let the french toast soak the more time the croissants will have to soak up all the sweet almond custard.
WHY IS MY FRENCH TOAST SOGGY?
This usually happens when you have too much dairy in the ingredients. The egg will not cook all the way through which will cause your french toast to be soggy.
CAN I REHEAT MY BAKED FRENCH TOAST?
Yes! It can be heated in the oven at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes. You can also reheat in the air fryer.
Questions about this Almond Berry Cream French Toast? Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #chefelizabethreese on Instagram, I’d love to see your creations!
Almond Berry Cream French Toast
- 7 Eggs
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1½ Tablespoons Almond Extract
- 15-16 Mini Croissants, torn in half
- ⅓ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 8½ oz Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1 Cup Blueberry Preserves
- 1 Cup Fresh Blueberries
- Butter for greasing the pan
- Sliced Almonds
- In a large bowl combine the milk, heavy cream, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and almond extract mix well and set aside.
- Butter a large shallow baking dish, then set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together the blueberry preserves and cream cheese together and set aside.
- Layer the bottom of the dish with pieces of the croissant bread. Then pour some of the egg custard on top and dollop some of the blueberry cream cheese mixture all over.
- Sprinkle some fresh blueberries on top. Continue these steps until you're out of croissants, egg custard and blueberry cream cheese mixture. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for about 50-60 minutes. Cool, top with syrup, sliced almonds, additional blueberries or whip cream. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply