These Apple Spiced Waffles are less of a breakfast and more of a dessert if you ask me and I’m cool with that! The spiced flavored waffles are topped with sticky, cinnamon- scented tender apples and a dollop of whipped cream.
Weekends in our home are for sleeping in and eating breakfast as a family because we’re always on the go during the week! These waffles are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and drizzled with maple syrup. What’s not to love? Even though these Apple Spiced Waffles are inspired by Fall, they would work all year round, of course. Sort of how you can have ice-cream at night in the middle of Winter ya know? I feel like I’ve been pumping out all sorts of apple inspired recipes… it’s apple season so what better way to celebrate than to keep making apple spiced flavored dishes.
HOW THICK SHOULD MY WAFFLE BATTER BE?
A good waffle mixture should have the consistency of pancake batter, not super thick and clumpy that it’s clinging to your whisk or so runny that it’s essentially water.
HOW DO YOU MAKE WAFFLES CRISPY?
Pour the batter into a preheated waffle maker that has been sprayed with cooking spray and cook for about 3-4 minutes, take a peak and check and see if they are done to your liking, if not cook a little longer. If the waffles don’t get crispy enough in your waffle iron, place them on a cooling rack set on a baking sheet and bake them in a 250F oven for another about minutes or so, until nice and crisp on the outside.
CAN YOU FREEZE WAFFLES?
Absolutely! You can freeze waffles in ziplock freezer bags and pull them out as needed throughout the week. All you would need to do to reheat waffles is to put them in the oven, microwave or the toaster! This is the perfect make-ahead homemade waffle recipe!
Apple Spiced Waffles
For the Waffles
- 2 Cups All purpose flour
- 1¾ Cups Milk
- 2 Eggs
- ½ Cup Butter, melted
- 4 Teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated sugar
- 1½-2 Tablespoons Ground cinnamon
- 1½ Tablespoons Allspice
- 2½ Tablespoons Brown sugar
- Nonstick cooking spray
For the apples
- 1 Large Gala apple, cored and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Ground cinnamon
- ½ Tablespoon Brown sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Add all of the apple ingredients into a small pan and cook until apples are tender, set aside and keep warm.
- Preheat your waffle iron and spray with cooking spray or rub a little melted butter on it.
- Whisk together the dry waffle ingredients in a small bowl - flour, sugar, spices, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla.
- Mix the egg mixture into the dry mixture and add the butter and milk into the waffle mix and blend until smooth.
- Let the waffle mix sit for about 5 minutes before adding to the waffle iron.
- Pour waffle mix onto hot iron and cook until golden brown.
- Top warm waffles with maple syrup, whipped cream and caramelized apples. Enjoy!