These Baked Chicken Burritos are super easy to make! They’re stuffed with juicy, tender slow cooked Mexican inspired shredded chicken, cheese rice and beans then baked to perfection and smothered in the most incredible creamy sauce.
It’s crazy because I used to not be a fan of burritos, can you believe that? I think the main reason why was because of the idea that refried beans had to go in burritos. Yuck! I’m sure this is an unpopular opinion but I am not a fan, LOL. Anyway, I just love how versatile Chicken Burritos can be, you can literally add whatever you want/ have in the pantry and boom dinner is served.The fact that these are also freezer friendly AND they can be made ahead of time is certainly a win in my book.
DO I HAVE TO USE CHICKEN BREAST?
Not at all! You can also use chicken thighs or chicken strips for this recipe. To be honest, if you’re not really feeling chicken, you can use beef in place of it or skip the meat altogether! Just keep in mind that when using different proteins, the cooking times could vary.
CAN I FREEZE THESE BURRITOS?
Yes! You can freeze these burritos for up to 2 months as long as they’re stored in an airtight container or wrapped individually in foil then stored securely in a freezer bag. I also recommend freezing the Chicken burritos without the sauce added so that when you’re ready to redhead you can thaw them, then add your sauce and bake!
CAN I MAKE THESE AHEAD OF TIME?
Absolutely! Because most of the filling ingredients are made separately and you pretty much “build your burrito” you can store everything in containers in the fridge and build, then bake the next day!
- I recommend warming up your tortillas before assembling them, it will help make them easier to wrap!
Questions about these Baked Chicken Burritos? Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #chefelizabethreese on Instagram, I’d love to see your creations!
Baked Chicken Burritos
For the Chicken
- 2 lbs Chicken Strips
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- ½ Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Pack Culantro y Achiote Sazón
- 1 Tablespoon Sofrito
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Cilantro
For the Sauce
- 2 Cups Tomato Sauce
- 1 Cup Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Heavy Cream
- ½ Tablespoon Sofrito
- ½ Teaspoon Chili Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin
For the Burritos
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, more as needed
- Goya Yellow Rice or Spanish Rice (Cooked according to package directions and set aside)
- Black Beans (Cooked and set aside)
- Chopped Cilantro, as needed (For Garnish)
- Fresh Pico de Gallo, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Season chicken strips with smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and sazon. Then add to the crock pot.
- Add lime juice, chicken broth, sofrito and chopped cilantro to the crock pot and cook on high for about 2½ hours until the chicken is fork tender. Remove from the crock pot once complete and shred completely, set aside.
- While the chicken is cooking, begin to prepare your sauce by adding all of the sauce ingredients in a medium sauce pot and simmer on medium/ low heat. Add additional spices if needed. Keep warm.
- In a large oven safe dish pour a thin layer of the sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Once the chicken is finished cooking, begin assembling the burritos. On a large cutting board or workspace, prepare your burritos by adding a good amount of shredded chicken, black beans, rice, and mozzarella cheese filling each tortilla. Fold up tortilla and gently place in the bottom of the baking dish. Continue steps until you’re out of chicken.
- Top Chicken burritos with remaining sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake for about 18-20ish minutes or until lightly golden and bubbly.
- Top burritos with sour cream, chopped cilantro and Pico de gallo. Enjoy!