Sweet, tangy and delicious! This Blueberry Barbecue Chicken is probably one of the tastiest sticky barbecue recipes you’ll ever try!
Summer is slowly coming to an end which means the same for grilling season. Idc, I’m not quite ready for fall recipes just yet. I mean I love fall, definitely one of my favorite seasons. However, who else feels like summer just got here? Ugh.
Anyway, this Blueberry Barbecue Chicken Recipe is definitely one of my favorites! The sauce is literally finger lick’n good… I know, lame. Haha. But seriously though, this is everything you’ve ever wanted in the perfect BBQ sauce. It’s sweet, tangy and savory all in one. The one thing I love most about this recipe is not only can the chicken be thrown on the grill during the summer months, you can also cook these babies in the oven then broil on high for the last few minutes to get that nice crispy texture!
- To save on time, purchase your favorite barbecue sauce in the bottle.
- You can use whatever cut of chicken you like, I prefer a mix of wings and skinless chicken thighs!
- For this recipe you will be baking the chicken in the oven and finishing on broil. However, you can certainly throw the chicken on the grill and continue to baste with the blueberry barbecue sauce throughout the cooking process.
Questions about this Blueberry Barbecue Chicken? Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #chefelizabethreese on Instagram, I’d love to see your creations!
Need more Chicken Recipes? Check out a few of my favorites below.
Blueberry Barbecue Chicken
- 2 lbs Chicken (Combination of Wings and Boneless Skinless Thighs)
- Garlic Powder, as needed
- Onion Powder, as needed
- Old Bay, as needed
- Creole Seasnoing, as needed
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper, as needed
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- ¼ Cup Chicken Broth
For the Sauce
- 1 Bottle of your Favorite Barbecue Sauce (I use Sweet Baby Rays)
- 2 Cups Frozen Blueberries
- ⅛ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ⅛ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ⅛ Teaspoon Onion Powder
- ⅛ Teaspoon Smoky Paprika Chipotle
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat add the frozen blueberries and simmer until the blueberries have cooked down, for about 20-25 minutes. Stir often. Mix in the Barbecue sauce, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoky chipotle paprika and brown sugar. Continue simmering.
- Coat the chicken in canola oil and generously season with black pepper, a little salt, garlic powder, onion powder, old bay, creole seasoning.
- Pour the chicken broth in the bottom of a large enough baking dish that will hold all of the chicken. Arrange the chicken in the dish.
- Coat the chicken with half of the barbecue sauce and bake for about an hour. Half way through, flip the chicken and baste with additional barbecue sauce.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the oven and coat in more barbecue sauce and broil on high for about 2-3 minutes until nice and crispy (be careful not to burn). Flip the chicken and follow the same steps. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply