These Breakfast Enchiladas with Sausage Gravy are super filling and packed with everyone’s breakfast favorites! They’re perfect for any special occasion brunch or breakfast and will sure be a hit!
I often get asked what’s your favorite thing to cook or what’s your favorite meal? Well to be honest, I don’t really have a “favorite” thing to cook because I do enjoy making new things. However, my favorite meal… oh that’s easy, anything to do with breakfast. I am obsessed to the point that I could eat breakfast for lunch and dinner and be completely ok with that. My husband probably wouldn’t be too happy about it but who cares! Haha
Anyway, enough about my favorite meal. Let’s talk about these Breakfast Enchiladas with Sausage Gravy. I mean the name of the recipe says enough. This recipe was fun to put together and taste damn good. I had leftover tortillas from another meal and was thinking what the heck can I do with these so they don’t go to waste… and here we are. I was pressed for a good breakfast meal and just wanted something filling, because It’s just been crazy AF around here with a 4 month old so I feel like I haven’t had a good breakfast meal in a long time.
These Breakfast Enchiladas are stuffed with all the good stuff like eggs, peppers, onions, cheese and BACON! The sausage gravy is the same gravy used in my Creamy Biscuits and Sausage Gravy recipe adds a creamy texture and so much more flavor to the meal. Did I mention how ridiculously easy these are to prepare? Easy, cheap and tasty…they’ve become our new breakfast favorite.
Breakfast Enchiladas with Sausage Gravy
- 8-10 Flour Tortillas
- 6-7 Slices Bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 lb Mild Breakfast Sausage
- 7 Large Eggs, beaten
- ½ Tablespoon Canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted butter
- ¼ Cup Green pepper, diced
- ¼ Cup Yellow onion, diced
- ¼ Cup Red pepper, diced
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 Cup Heavy Cream or whole milk, as needed (Can add chicken broth to thin out gravy if it gets too thick, or add additional cream)
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Chili powder, as needed
- 1½-2 Tablespoons All purpose flour
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cut open the package of pork sausage and place into the pan.
- Break up the sausage in the pan and continue stirring until brown.
- Once the sausage is pretty much done, sprinkle in the same pan about 1 ½ tablespoons of flour and cook/stir for about one minute.
- Slowly add the cream or milk and continue to stir until the gravy starts to thicken. Be sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan and be careful not to burn the gravy while it's thickening. Stir frequently until thick, adding more milk or cream to thin, as needed.
- When you reach your desired thickness, season with salt and black pepper. Keep warm.
- In a different skillet add in butter and saute the onions and peppers and cook until the onions are translucent and peppers are tender.
- Add in eggs with a little chili powder and and cook, once the eggs begin to harden add in a little shredded cheese. Set aside
- Place some of the scrambled egg mixture along with some of the chopped bacon and shredded cheese down the center of each tortilla.
- Roll up and place seam-side down into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Repeat until all tortillas are filled.
- Cover filled tortillas with shredded cheese and bake in a 350F oven until the cheese on top is nice bubbly and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and add sausage gravy on top and garnish with chopped parsley or green onion. Enjoy!