This Broccoli Cheddar Casserole is a true family-favorite! With the yummy cheesy broccoli and buttered cracker crumb topping, what’s not to love? It’s a perfect side for the holidays or any day!
If you’re looking for a side dish your whole family is going to love, this Broccoli Cheddar Casserole is the answer! This recipe includes my favorite creamy cheese sauce with a combination of broccoli & rice and baked it until nice and bubbly. So simple, yet so filling. You can even add in chicken for a full dinner meal. Skip the condensed soup and make this recipe from scratch!
Broccoli Cheddar Casserole
For Cheese Sauce
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Cups Heavy cream
- ½ Cup Yellow onion, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper, as needed
- Garlic powder, as needed
- 1 Teaspoon Dry mustard (optional, can also use plain yellow mustard)
- Smoked Paprika, as needed
- 2 Cups Cheddar cheese
For the Casserole
- 4-5 Cups Steamed Broccoli
- 2 Cups Cooked white rice
- 1½ Cup Ritz crackers, crushed
- ½ Stick Butter
- ½ Cup Cheddar cheese, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saucepot, cook onion and butter over medium heat until onions are translucent. Stir in flour, and cook an additional 2 minutes to form a roux.
- Gradually pour in the heavy cream while whisking. Continue whisking over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Add in dry mustard (or plain yellow mustard), paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper and 2 cups cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted and creamy.
- Place rice in a greased casserole dish and pour in cheese sauce, mix well. Gently fold in broccoli. Top with ½ cup cheddar cheese.
- Stir together cracker crumbs and melted butter until crumbs are moistened. Sprinkle evenly on top of the shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes until bubbly and crumb topping is light golden brown. Enoy!