These Buffalo Chicken Taquitos are filled with shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese wrapped in flour tortillas. So simple yet so satisfying!
WHAT TYPE OF CHICKEN SHOULD I USE?
Feel free to use chicken breast, boneless skinless chicken thighs or even a whole chicken for this recipe. I will say that Chicken Thighs are dark meat and therefore much juicier than chicken breast! I love rotating between the two but use what’s available to you.
HOW SHOULD I COOK THE CHICKEN?
Good thing about this recipe is that the chicken breast or thighs can easily be cooked in the crockpot seasoned with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder along with the other ingredients which is a huge timesaver and little to no mess. You can also quickly sear the chicken breast on the stove top and finish in the oven or just straight up bake the chicken.
CAN I USE ROTISSERIE CHICKEN?
Absolutely, just without the skin! If you are short on time and can’t commit to actually cooking the chicken, then I’ve got you covered. You can speed up this Buffalo Chicken Taquitos recipe by using a rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store. Quick, easy and tastes so good! If you do decide to use a grocery store rotisserie chicken then you may need to buy two to be on the safe side because sometimes they can skimp you on the amount of meat on each chicken.
CAN I BAKE THE TAQUITOS INSTEAD OF FRYING?
Yes, feel free to brush the rolled Taquitos with canola oil and bake on a sheet tray sprayed with nonstick spray on 365F for about 8-10 minutes. Do not seal the taquitos with toothpicks if you will be baking them instead of frying. Be sure to check halfway through so you do not burn your taquitos.
CAN I USE CORN TORTILLAS?
Yes, you can use corn tortillas for this recipe if you’d like, but I recommend against it because corn tortillas don’t hold it’s shape very well and will tear/ fall apart once stuffed, rolled and fried. And they honestly won’t crisp up like the flour tortillas.
CAN I MAKE THE TAQUITOS AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes! You can actually prepare the buffalo chicken mixture and fill the taquitos, roll them up and store them in an airtight container in the fridge up to 1 day before frying them.
Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
- 1½ lb Cooked Chicken Breast or Rotisserie Chicken
- 4½ oz Softned Cream Cheese, more as needed
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese, more as needed
- 2 Tablespoons Green Onion, chopped
- ¼ Cup Buffalo Sauce (I used Frank's Buffalo Wing Suce)
- 1 Pack Ranch dry dip mix
- Cnola Oil for frying
- Kosher salt and black pepper, as needed
- Blue Cheese Crumbles, for garnish
- Ranch Dressing, for garnish
- In a medium bowl combine shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese and green onion. Mix together.
- Prepare Taquitos by filling 12 flour tortillas with the buffalo chicken mixture, roll tightly and seal with a toothpick. Line on a sheet tray until ready to fry.
- Heat about 1 ½- 2 cups canola oil in a deep pot over medium heat.
- When oil is hot enough for frying, place 3- 4 taquitos in at a time, be careful not to crowd. Fry on each side for about 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove taquitos from the heat and place on a wire rack with paper towels underneath to catch the excess oil.
- Top with blue cheese crumbles and ranch dressing. Enjoy!