Similar to Chicken Tikka Masala, Butter Chicken is one of the most popular Indian recipes around the world! This Butter Chicken is perfect for when you want Indian food but don’t feel like getting takeout. It’s easy to make in the comfort of your own home, because you don’t have to worry about going to find outrageous ingredients at your local grocery store. Everything is pretty easy to find if you don’t already have the ingredients at home!
What exactly is Garam Masala?
Garam masala is a spice blend that is used in a lot of traditional Indian cooking. It gives the recipe a little bit of a kick and that signature flavor that really can’t be found using anything else.
What can I use instead of Garam Masala?
I would highly recommend going out and purchasing some Garam Masala for this recipe. Without it, the dish unfortunately won’t have the same flavor. But to really enjoy this creamy butter chicken recipe, grab some garam masala!
- 1 lb Chicken breast (Diced into pieces)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Garam masala
- 1/4 Cup Plain greek yogurt (Can use regular yogurt instead)
- 1 Tablespoon Grated ginger
- 1/2 Cup Yellow onion
- 8 Ounces Tomato sauce
- 3 Cloves Minced garlic
- 1-2 Tablespoon Tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted butter (1/2 Stick)
- 1/2-1 Cup Heavy cream
- Chili powder to taste
- 1-2 Tablespoons Canola oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
- In a large skillet, heat canola oil. Add chicken and cook, stirring often until the chicken is cooked through for about 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pan and keep warm. Add the butter and allow it to melt completely then add in ginger and onion. Stir regularly, cooking until the onions are translucent for about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, cooking for about 30 seconds to a minute or until fragrant. Be careful not to burn it.
- Now stir in the garam masala and chili powder. Then pour in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, yogurt and heavy cream. Stir to combine fully. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Serve with rice and naan.