These Buttermilk Ranch Chicken Tenders are hand-breaded with the perfect blend of spices and fried until golden brown!
People often ask me…what’s the secret ingredient to Crispy Fried Chicken Tenders? My answer is always cornstarch, adding cornstarch to your breading helps create the most amazing crispy texture that we all love. I love making any sort of chicken tender or popcorn chicken recipe because they freeze so well! I usually make a good amount and freeze half and pull them out and pop them in the air fryer as needed. These Buttermilk Ranch Chicken Tenders are perfect as a main dish, appetizer or on top of salads.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It requires minimal ingredients and it is super easy to whip up.
- You can fry the tenders in a deep fryer or a deep pot of oil.
- You can easily double this recipe for serving more people.
- This recipe is freezer friendly and can be used for different meals.
- Let your chicken marinate for at least four hours in the buttermilk, longer if possible.
- Make sure your oil is at 350 degrees before frying the chicken.
- Fry the chicken in batches, don’t overcrowd the pot.
- If you don’t have a deep fryer, cool. You can use a large deep pot and fill a little under half way with canola oil.
DO I HAVE TO MARINATE THE CHICKEN IN BUTTERMILK?
You don’t absolutely have to. However, I strongly recommend it, even if you could for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Soaking the chicken in buttermilk acts as a brine to help tenderize the chicken. Allowing the chicken tenders to soak up all of the buttermilk will help make the meat juicy and tender.
HOW DO I STORE THIS RECIPE?
You can store these chicken tenders in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4ish days. To freeze, you will want to make sure the chicken tenders have completely cooked and then placed in a large freezer bag to freeze for up to 1 month.
HOW DO I REHEAT THESE CHICKEN TENDERS?
Just put them on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven or in the air fryer and heat until warm and breading is nice and crisp.
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES!
- Hot Honey Chicken
- Sticky Maple Chicken Wings
- Mango Chili Chicken
- Sweet Chili Chicken
- Oven Baked BBQ Chicken
Questions about these Buttermilk Ranch Chicken Tenders? Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #chefelizabethreese on Instagram, I’d love to see your creations!
Buttermilk Ranch Chicken Tenders
For the Chicken
- 2 lbs Chicken Tenderloins
- 2 Cups Buttermilk
- 1 Teaspoon Old Bay
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Ranch Seasoning Pack
- Canola Oil for Frying
For the Chicken Breading
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ Another Ranch Seasoning Pack
- ½ Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ¼ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Old Bay
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Season the chicken with the old bay, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and the ranch seasoning pack. Add the chicken and buttermilk to a large resealable bag. Mix and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- When it’s time for frying, heat 1-2 inches of canola oil in a dutch oven or large pot to 350°F.
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour, cornstarch and all of the breading spices including the ½ pack of ranch seasoning mix. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk marinade and dip each piece in the flour mixture until well coated. Shake off excess flour.
- Fry a few pieces of the chicken at a time until golden brown and cooked through, about 3-5 minutes per side. Let the cooked chicken rest on paper towels or (my preference) a wire rack to cool. Paper towels can sometimes create additional steam and cause the breading to become soggy.
Leave a Reply