These Caramel Apple Spiced Cupcakes are moist & flavorful made with a spiced apple cupcake mix topped with homemade buttercream icing and a caramel drizzle. They melt in your mouth and are the perfect fall dessert!
It’s my favorite time of year again guys…apples, pumpkins, warm cookies, pies and spiced everyyythinggg! Well it’s definitely starting to take over my kitchen for sure because I feel like it’s necessary to incorporate apples or spiced something in most of my dessert recipes. And totally cool with that haha. I’m honestly just patiently waiting until the temperature drops just a little more so I can bring out my chili recipe! These Caramel Apple Spiced Cupcakes are incredibly moist like banana bread, and soft and fluffy like a muffin! OH and the homemade caramel drizzle and buttercream icing my goodness, it’s amazing! These cupcakes are so dang on good I accidently ate 3 in one day! Ah, don’t judge me guys, I felt a little guilty.
I love how with each bite you get a mouthful of tiny pieces of tender apples! If you’re not really into buttercream icing for whatever reason you can also use cream cheese icing instead and they will still taste incredibly delicious!
Caramel Apple Spiced Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- ½ Cup Unsalted butter, melted and cooled (or 1 stick)
- ⅔ Cup Light brown sugar
- ⅓ Cup Granulated sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, room temperature
- ⅓ Cup 2% milk or almond milk
- 2½ Tablespoons Vanilla extract
- 1½ Cups All purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ Teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Ground cinnamon
- ½-1 Teaspoon Ground nutmeg
- 1 Large Gala apple, peeled and chooped (or 2 cups)
For the Buttercream Frosting
- 1½ Sticks Unsalted butter, softened
- 3 Cups Confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 4-5 Tablespoons Heavy whipping cream or milk as needed
- 1-2 Tablespoons Vanilla extract
For the Caramel Sauce
- 1 Cup Light brown sugar
- ½ Stick Butter, room temperature
- ½ Cup Heavy cream
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Line a second pan with liners or work in batches with 1 pan.Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, Whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until combined. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until smooth then whisk in the vanilla extract and milk. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in separate bowl. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix gently until combined. Fold in the apples.
- Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full with batter. Bake for about 20 minutes, be sure to check on them halfway through baking. Remove from the oven and insert a toothpick in the center, it should come out clean when done. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the Buttercream frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes until the butter is smooth.
- Turn the speed down to low and add in the powdered sugar. Continue mixing on low speed until the powdered sugar is completely incorporated. Add in vanilla extract and milk or heavy cream until combined.
- Turn mixer back up to medium-high speed and beat the mixture for an additional 4-5 minutes. If needed, add in a little more cream until you reach the consistency you desire.
- Pipe or spread the cream filling on the flat side of half of the cookies and put the remaining cookies on top.
For the Caramel Sauce
- Over medium heat, add brown sugar and butter in a medium saucepan, stirring constantly with a high heat resistant rubber spatula or wooden spoon.Be careful not to burn.
- Once sugar is completely melted, slowly add the heavy cream while stirring. Since the heavy cream is colder than the caramel, the mixture will bubble when added. Don’t worry! Allow the mixture to lightly boil for about 1 minute.
- Allow to slightly cool down before using. Keep in mind that caramel thickens as it cools. If that happens before use, reheat in the microwave or on low on the stove to reach desired consistency. Enjoy!