Juicy, tender flank steak packed with layers of incredible Mexican flavors! This Carne Asada with Corn Salsa is perfect for tacos, burritos, salads and nachos!
Tender slices of perfectly marinated beef that’s amazing on its own or inside a tortilla. I love that you can serve this Carne Asada with Corn Salsa several ways which makes for great leftovers. The key to cooking flank steak correctly is making sure you let it sit in a marinade overnight up to 1 full day. Now let’s talk about this Corn Salsa…it’s fresh, healthy-ish and amazing! This Corn Salsa is great for tacos, fish, even chicken!
WHAT IS CARNE ASADA?
Carne Asada, literally translated, means ‘grilled meat’ or meat roasted over an open flame. The meat is marinated and then grilled to give it a charred flavor.
WHAT TYPE OF BEEF SHOULD I USE?
Many people use skirt or flank steak for most carne asada recipes. You can also use more expensive cuts of steak such as ribeye for the tender juicy flavor. Keep in mind that skirt and flank steaks can often turn out more tough/chewy than ideal, even when you feel like you’ve done everything right and even when you slice against the grain. As mentioned above, that’s why the marinade is necessary.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH CARNE ASADA?
Questions about this Carne Asada with Corn Salsa? Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #chefelizabethreese on Instagram, I’d love to see your creations!
Carne Asada with Corn Salsa
For the Marinade
- 2 lb Flank Steak
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- ¼ Cup Lime Juice
- ¼ Cup Soy Sauce
- 5-6 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped Cilantro
- ½ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Chili Lime Seasoning (Can also use plain chili powder)
- 1 Tablespoon Butter for Searing, more as needed
- 2 Tablespoon Canola Oil for Searing, more as needed
For the Corn Salsa
- 2 Large Avocados, Chopped
- 2 Ears Fresh Corn Sweet Corn Kernels, cut off the Cobb
- 1 Cup Chopped Red Onion
- 1 Cup Chopped Red Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ Cup Chopped Cilantro
- ¼ Cup Fresh Lime Juice
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper, as needed
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin, as needed
- ½ Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil, more as needed
- To prepare the marinade, In a large bowl mix together all of the marinade ingredients. Pour the marinade into a large dish or a heavy-duty zip lock bag. Add the meat to the dish or bag (flip to coat both sides.) Cover the dish or bag and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Remove the meat from the fridge about 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tablespoons of canola oil to the pan.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and discard. Sear the steak for about 3-5 ish minutes per side until cooked through. The internal temperature should read 145°F. Allow the steak to rest for about 5-7 minutes before slicing against the grain and serving.
- Top the Carne Asada with the Corn Salsa and any additional toppings, enjoy!
For the Corn Salsa
- Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn, red onion, red pepper, garlic powder, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn starts to char. Transfer everything to a resealable container and fold in the avocado. Place in the fridge until ready to serve.