If you love a big hearty weekend breakfast then This Churro Stuffed French Toast recipe needs to be added to your menu. It’s perfect for brunch or when guests are coming over!
Ok… just imagine thick slices of buttery challah bread slathered with an amazing cream cheese filling, pan fried until golden, buttery, soft and slightly crispy then coated in a BOMB cinnamon sugar mixture. If you breakfast fanatic like me then this french toast recipe needs to be added to your menu. I love that you can prepare your cream cheese filling 1 day ahead of time so you have less work to do the morning of.
WHY IS MY FRENCH TOAST SOGGY?
This usually happens when you have too much dairy like milk in the ingredients. The egg will not cook all the way through which will cause your french toast to be soggy.
WHAT TYPE OF BREAD SHOULD I USE?
You definitely want to choose a sturdy thicker sliced bread that will not fall apart when you put it into the egg mixture before frying. You also want to make sure your bread is able to be cooked to a perfect golden brown. I have found that Challah (which I love), Brioche or French bread work the best as they tend to hold its shape when drenched in the egg mixture. They also toast really well and stay moist on the inside.
- Make sure you use a well greased nonstick pan because the last thing you want is your french toast sticking to your pan and straight up falling apart with cream cheese oozing everywhere.
- Generously coat the bread on both sides in the batter, however you want to make sure you don’t completely dredge your bread in the batter to prevent super soggy french toast. Then gently shake off excess batter before placing each slice in the pan.
- Try not to use too much butter when cooking the French Toast because the butter will cause the bread to cook quicker on the outside and potentially burn.
Honestly, there is nothing quite like stuffed French Toast for breakfast! We love French toast in all forms in our house, from Baked Maple Praline French Toast, Pumpkin Spice French Toast, Banana Bread French Toast,Strawberry Stuffed French Toast,Pound Cake French Toast.
Questions about this Churro Stuffed French Toast? Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #chefelizabethreese on Instagram, I’d love to see your creations!
Churro Stuffed French Toast
For the French Toast
- 2 Large Eggs
- 8-10 Slices Challah Bread
- ¼ Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1-2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray, as needed
For the Cream Cheese Filling
- 5 oz Plain Cream Cheese, Room Temperature
- ¼ Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Whole Milk
For the Churro Coating
- ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- In a shallow dish, whisk eggs, milk, vanilla extract until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk. Set aside.
- Mix all of the Churro Coating Ingredients together in a shallow plate and set aside.
- Spread a layer of the cream cheese mixture on one side of the challah bread and close to make a "sandwich".
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and about 1 tablespoon of canola oil in a skillet over medium heat. Spray with a little non-stick cooking spray.
- Dip the french toast in the egg mixture covering both sides and place in the skillet to cook for about 2-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Continue the above steps until all of the french toast has been cooked. Immediately after cooking each french toast “sandwich” coat in the churro mixture, then set aside.
- Top with syrup, berries, and whipped cream. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply