This Creamed Peas and Mushrooms recipe is a super easy make ahead side dish to make!
What yalls favorite side dish? Many of you know that I sometimes struggle when trying to come up with new side dishes to cook for dinner and always revert back to my usuals. Who else has this problem? I kind of feel like side dishes always fall by the waist side and are really thought of at the last minute because you’re so focused on coming up with a new exciting main dish. For some reason peas have gotten a bad rap because they’re always seen as that one side dish that no one wants to eat and that are weird a mushy. However I’m here to tell you that’s not true! Like most things, it’s all about how you cook the item and make it your own, this Creamed Peas and Mushrooms recipe is the bomb and adds that missing piece to the peas that you need to take the flavor to the next level. The creaminess works perfectly with the peas by adding an additional layer of flavor!
Creamed Peas and Mushrooms
- 2½ Cups Frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 Stick Butter
- 1 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream or half and half
- ½-1 Cup Mushrooms, sliced
- ½ Cup Yellow onion, chopped
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Paprika, as needed
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and saute’ onions until translucent.
- Add in the mushrooms and saute’ until brown, add in flour to form a roux.
- Add in heavy cream or half and half and mix until you reach your desired consistency. If mixture becomes too thick, feel free to add in a couple splashes of chicken stock.
- Add peas to heat through, season to taste with garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Enjoy!