This classic Creamy Biscuits and Sausage Gravy recipe is everything you could ask for in a comforting southern breakfast! Buttery biscuits topped with a delicious homemade gravy!
Now you guys know that I absolutely LOVE any sort of breakfast food. So, I’m always down to cook breakfast or create new homemade recipes. This recipe is prefect to make when have guests in town and need to feed a bunch of people, it’s also perfect for just you and your family for a quick and easy Saturday breakfast. You won’t believe how simple this Creamy Biscuits and Sausage Gravy is to make. It literally only requires a few ingredients… sausage, pepper, salt, cream and biscuits and there you have it! Of course, you always have the option to make your biscuits from scratch however when you don’t have much time or aren’t a huge baker like myself then it’s totally fine to grab some Pillsbury biscuits from your local grocery store and honestly, I just don’t have time for all of that!
WHAT KIND OF SAUSAGE SHOULD I USE?
Feel free to use your favorite sausage whether its pork sausage, turkey sausage or precooked sausage crumbles. However, I prefer to buy breakfast pork sausage and cook it in the pan as it makes for a more flavorful gravy.
Creamy Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
- 1 lb Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage roll
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1½-2 Tablespoons All purpose flour
- 2 Cups Heavy cream or whole milk (can add more as needed to thin out)
- Prepare biscuits, according to package.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cut open the package of pork sausage and place into pan.
- Break up the sausage in the pan and continue stirring until brown.
- Once the sausage is pretty much done sprinkle in the same pan about 1 ½ tablespoons of flour cook/stir for about one minute.
- Slowly add the milk or cream and continue to stir until the gravy starts to thicken. Be sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan and be careful not to burn the gravy while it's thickening. Stir frequently until thick, adding more milk or cream to thin, as needed.
- When you reach your desired thickness, season with salt and black pepper.
- Split biscuits and generously spoon the sausage gravy over it. Enjoy!