This Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with Sausage is one of my favorite recipes! Flavored with sage and thyme, healthy-ish and absolutely amazing. The perfect quick dinner idea for a busy weeknight.
As it starts to get colder and we continue to be quarantined at home I feel like you sometimes need that comfort food ya know? In my opinion, nothing screams comfort more than a warm bowl of this Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with Sausage! Just cozy up on the couch and dig in…I don’t usually eat on the couch buttt when I do it’s usually with something super simple like pasta to avoid any mishaps and it’s so worth it idc! If you are a butternut squash person then you will also love my Butternut Squash Risotto with Candied Bacon!
Now yall know I love pasta, it’s so easy to make and is so filling and lets not forget about the leftovers…the bomb! I decided to keep this recipe pretty simple and easy to follow! If you don’t have or like Kale, then no worries. Feel free to substitute it with Spinach. I usually keep various types of pasta noodles in my pantry because I make so much pasta and I feel like you gotta just stay stocked- noodles and jarred pasta sauce are for sure two pantry staples.
Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with Sausage
- 1 Box Linguine noodles
- 1½ Lb Ground Italian sausage
- Kosher salt and black pepper, as needed
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Sage, as needed
- ½ Cup Yellow onion, chopped
- 1-2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2-3 Tablespoons Canola oil, as needed
- Garlic powder, as needed
- Chili powder, as needed
- 2½-3 Cups Heavy cream
- 10 oz Bag Frozen Butternut squash
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 2½ Cups Kale, chopped
- ¼ Cup Freshly grated parmesan cheese, as needed
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons salt and Linguine noodles. Cook according to the directions on the box.
- Add sausage to a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Brown the sausage for about 8-10 minutes until cooked through and transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Steam frozen butternut squash according to the package in the microwave or on the stovetop, set aside.
- In the same pan over medium heat add butter, onions, thyme and sage. Saute until the onions are translucent. Mix in butternut squash and continue cooking for about 3-4 minutes. Stir in chili powder.
- Add flour to the pan and continue cooking for about 2 or 3 minutes to cook the flour out and to avoid a “flour” taste.
- Pour in heavy cream, adjust the seasonings if you’d like. Cook on medium high until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Once the sauce has reached your desired consistency add in the Kale. Add the sausage back to the pan along with fresh parmesan cheese. Enjoy!