This Creamy Garlic Parmesan Orzo is a perfect side dish. Serve it alongside a pan-seared steak, or seared chicken to make this a delicious meal!
I absolutely love quick and easy meals especially during the summer months. They save me so much time in the kitchen! A lot of times I struggle with coming up with new sides to pair with dinner meals and getting out of the habit of making the same things. If you also struggle from time to time, then I definitely recommend adding this Creamy Garlic Parmesan Orzo to your rotation. It’s quick, easy and taste wonderful! Orzo is a little pasta that is shaped like rice and can be used in soups, stews, casseroles or a delicious side dish. It starts out small but plumps up as it cooks and becomes al dente.
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Orzo
- 2 Cups Orzo
- 2-3 Cups Warm chicken stock
- 5 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Canola oil
- 1/4 Cup Diced yellow onion
- 4 Cloves Minced garlic
- 2/3 Cup Grated parmesan cheese
- 1-2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/3 Cup Heavy cream
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped basil
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic powder, as needed
- 1-2 Tablespoons Lemon zest, as needed
For the Orzo
- Heat about 1 Tablespoon of canola oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet.
- Add the orzo and stir it around the pan so it toasts about 2-3 minutes, this will give the orzo a nice nutty flavor.
- When the orzo starts to turn golden in color, add the warm chicken stock. Ladle in about ½ cup at a time. Let the orzo absorb the liquid entirely, before adding more.
- Season with kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Bring the orzo to a boil and turn down the heat and let simmer.
- Cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes.
For the Cream Sauce
- Add the 4 tablespoons of butter to a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Once it’s melted add the chopped onion and garlic. Add flour and stir to cook the “flour taste” out. Add in heavy cream and whisk until sauce starts to thicken.
- Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add the cheese and basil.
- Add the creamy garlic sauce to the cooked orzo and stir. Garnish with lemon zest. Enjoy!