This Creamy Sausage Rigatoni Pasta is the perfect weeknight meal. It’s easy, delicious and simmered in a garlicky tomato cream sauce.
Pasta is always a good idea, especially during the week! I pretty much love to make any pasta recipe because it literally takes no time to make and the flavors that come together are amazing! This Creamy Sausage Rigatoni Pasta can honestly be made in about 30 minutes with minimal ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Since it’s slowly getting colder and colder here in NC I’ve really been craving nice hearty comfort food like soups, stews and pasta so here we are, haha.
- If your pasta sauce tastes a bit sour prior to adding in your cream, you can add a little bit of sugar to cut the bitterness. Be careful not to add too much because it’ll be hard to come back from that.
- If you want to add a little spice, you can either use spicy italian sausage instead of regular mild or you could add in some crushed red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper if you’re really feeling spicy.
- Now if you want to get real fancy and want to add a little white wine to the sauce go ahead, do your thing! I just recommend simmering the sauce prior to adding in the cream a bit longer. The end result will be amazing!
- Feel free to use your favorite pasta noodles in replace of the Rigatoni noodles if you’d like!
Creamy Sausage Rigatoni Pasta
- 1 lb Rigatoni noodles
- 2 lbs Italian sausage
- ½ Cup Yellow onion, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Jars Pasta Sauce (I use Raos)
- 1 15 oz Can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 2-3 Tablespoons Fresh basil, chiffonade
- ¼ Cup Heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon Canola oil
- Kosher salt and pepper, as needed
- 2 Tablespoons Paprika, as needed
- 2 Tablespoons Oregano, as needed
- ½ Tablespoon Cayenne pepper, as needed
- 1-2 Teaspoons Crushed red pepper, as needed
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic powder, as needed
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese, as needed
- Boil a pot of salted water for the pasta. Cook the rigatoni noodles according to package instructions and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add in about 1 tablespoon of canola oil and add the chopped onions and garlic and saute until the garlic is fragrant. Be careful not to burn.
- Add in the sausage and all of the spices and saute for about 7 minutes or so, until the sausage has browned.
- Drain a bit of the fat from the pan.
- Turn the heat down and add in the tomatoes and pasta sauce, stir together. Add in fresh basil and let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream, continue to let the sauce simmer on low. Adjust seasonings if needed. Toss in pasta noodles and coat with the sauce.
- Garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!