This Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Risotto is a restaurant style dish packed with tons of flavor that can be made right in your own kitchen.
One of the nicest things about risotto is that there are so many different flavor combinations and ways that you can switch things up. One of my favorites is for sure my Creamy Shrimp Scampi Risotto recipe, which is also the bomb.
WHAT IS ARBORIO RICE?
Arborio rice is an Italian short-grain rice that is oval in shape. The grains are approximately a quarter of an inch long and typically pearly white in color. Much starchier than other types of rice, arborio rice has the ability to absorb more water when compared to other types of rice without becoming mushy. This is what makes risotto so creamy and yummy!
TIPS FOR MAKING CREAMY SPINACH AND MUSHROOM RISOTTO
- Never rinse Arborio rice before cooking! The starch from the rice is important when making risotto and rinsing with water would be very counterproductive.
- The rice needs to be stirred frequently to draw the starch from the rice which will make it creamy without adding any milk or cream.
- Keep the stock warm while cooking the risotto! Using the warm stock and adding it a little at a time helps keep the risotto creamy.
- Adding cold chicken stock to the hot pan will cool everything down and slow down the cooking process.
- Don’t add the stock all at once! Follow the recipe and wait until the rice absorbs all the stock then add some more.
Questions about this Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Risotto? Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #chefelizabethreese on Instagram, I’d love to see your creations!
Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Risotto
- 2-3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Canola oil, add more as needed
- 1 Cup Arborio Rice
- ½ Cup Yellow onion, diced
- 4-6 Cups Warm Chicken Stock (unsalted)
- ¼ Cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- ½ Cup White wine
- ½ Cup Mushrooms, sliced
- ⅓ Cup Spinach, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper, as needed
- Garlic powder, as needed
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add butter and a little canola oil mushrooms and onions. Stir occasionally, until onions are translucent and tender.
- Stir in the Arborio rice, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
- Then add wine and cook until the alcohol has reduced down.
- Add ¼ cup of the warm chicken stock. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir constantly until all stock has been absorbed. Continue adding the stock ¼ cup at a time, stirring frequently, until all of the stock has been used and rice is al dente, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in spinach until wilted.
- Once the risotto has reached your desired consistency remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese. Set aside and keep warm. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply