This Creamy Tomato Bisque is bursting with flavor super simple to make and perfect for the cold weather!
While I love the warmer months and to be able to wear sandals and dresses. I love the winter, not because of the cold but because of all of the comfort food that I get to eat! Soup season is amazing because you don’t have to worry about coming up with side options but instead, you get to have a nice comforting bowl of soup! The base of this Creamy Tomato Bisque is made with Roma tomatoes, lots of onions and garlic, fresh herbs and garnished with fresh basil and a little cream all simmered in a pot. My goodness the smell alone will have your house filled with amazing aromas. This soup is honestly very simple to make and is ready in under an hour. Most of the time is spent waiting for the tomatoes to roast in the oven prior to pureing them.
Now we all know you can’t have tomato bisque without a good ol’ grilled cheese sandwich! I absolutely love a good pressed grilled cheese sandwich. Sometimes I use different types of cheese combinations to switch things up from time to time. Feel free to use whatever types of cheese you have available to you, but be sure you use some sort of stringy cheese to get that gooey pull apart texture! Mmh
Creamy Tomato Bisque
- 3½ lbs Roma Tomatoes, ends cut
- 1 Cup Red onion, rough chopped
- 5 Whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1-½ Cup Yellow Onion, rough chopped
- 5-6 Sprigs Thyme
- ⅓ Cup Fresh basil, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper, as needed
- Garlic powder, as needed
- ⅓ Cup Heavy cream, as needed
- Canola oil, as needed
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Coat Roma tomatoes, onions and garlic in canola oil and generously season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add onion, garlic cloves and sprigs of thyme to a large oven proof pot, cover and place in the oven.
- Roast in the oven until onions soften and tomatoes are blistered and charred, for about an hour.
- Once the tomatoes are charred remove from the oven, take out the sprigs of thyme and blend everything up.
- Return the pot to the stovetop, add in fresh basil and additional spices if needed and simmer on low.
- Add in heavy cream and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes or so. Serve with a grilled cheese sandwich and Enjoy!