Crock Pot Beef Tips with Mushroom Gravy made from scratch! These beef tips are ridiculously tender and easy to make in your crock pot or instant pot, served over white rice.
This is the time of the year when the days get shorter and its cold and gloomy outside, which is the perfect time to make a good hearty comfort meal that really takes little to no effort. So… here we are, this Crock Pot Beef Tip recipe is perfect for this kind of weather. I love cooking anything in the crock pot because it really does all of the work for you. You pretty much just prep the ingredients and toss them in to cook for a few hours and boom…that’s it.
WHAT ARE BEEF TIPS?
This is the million dollar question im sure everyone has. Basically, beef tips are any cut of meat cut into cubes. However, I will say that it is important to understand that when you’re using a crock pot for slow cooking meat, there are certain types of meat that work better than others. Think about it like this…the tougher the meat, the longer it’ll take to cook. Which is perfect for slow cooking.
WHAT CUTS OF BEEF WORK BEST?
I Usually like to use well-trimmed chuck, round or rump roast that’s cut into 1-inch cubes. Sometimes, I’ll purchase “stew meat” from the grocery store, if I’m looking to save time which also works perfectly. Browning the beef is a necessary step that shouldn’t be skipped after you lightly dredge the tips in flour. Doing this adds a deeper, richer flavor to the finished stew and the flour also helps to thicken the sauce.
Crock Pot Beef Tips with Mushroom Gravy
- 2 lbs Trimmed chuck, round or rump roast, cubed (can also use cubed stew meat)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, as needed
- Canola oil, as needed
- All purpose flour, as needed
- 1 Large onion, sliced
- 1½ Cup Mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 Dried bay leaves
- 2 Cups Unsalted beef stock, as needed
- Worcestershire sauce, as needed
- 2-3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- Garlic powder, as needed
- Kosher salt and black pepper, as needed
- Chili powder, as needed
- Oregano, as needed
- Paprika, as needed
- Heat a large pan over medium heat.
- Season beef with all spices and dredge lightly with flour. Set aside.
- Add butter and a little oil to the pan then begin working in batches by adding a little beef in at a time to quickly sear on both sides to get a nice crust. Set aside.
- Add all of the beef to a crock pot along with onions, mushrooms and bay leaves.
- Pour in about 2 cups of beef stock to slightly cover the beef and veggies. Add more beef stock as needed. Cook on high for about 3-4 hours or low for 5-7 hours.
- Towards the end of the cooking process, combine ½ cup of the liquid from the slow cooker and cornstarch in a small bowl, whisk until smooth. Add to the slow cooker and mix well. Continue cooking until the sauce starts to thicken and the meat is tender. Season to taste as needed.
- If for whatever reason the gravy is too thick, add a few tablespoons of unsalted beef stock to thin to your desired consistency. Enjoy!