There’s no need to order out! This Easy Chicken Fried Rice recipe is much better than takeout fried rice and is ready to go in under an hour!
I mean really. Who doesn’t like fried rice? This easy chicken fried rice recipe is just as good as takeout and super simple to make. It’s loaded with yummy veggies and packed with flavor. This homemade version is a little healthier, while not sacrificing flavor. It’s also great for meal prep and the leftovers taste delicious! I feel like whenever I get takeout fried rice is a must, so I thought…I need to figure out how to master this at home. I mean it’s always a good idea to make dinner at home, number one its cost effective and number two, you know exactly what’s going in your food. If you’re not in the mood for chicken, you can substitute and add shrimp or pork instead.
- Don’t overcook the final dish once all of the ingredients have been added. You want a little bite to your vegetables, so they aren’t mushy.
- Make sure your oil is hot before adding the rice because you don’t want the rice to continue steaming soaking in oil and again become mushy.
- Cook your rice ahead of time and place it in the fridge so that it gets cold, it’s much easier to add to the final dish later.
Easy Chicken Fried Rice
- 2 Cups Cooked and chilled Jasmine rice
- 2-3 Tablespoons Canola oil
- 3 Large Bonless skinless chicken breast
- 1 Cup Yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Cup Frozen peas and carrots, lightly thawed
- 1/4 Cup Green onion, chopped
- 4-5 Tablespoons Low sodium soy sauce, as needed
- 4 Tablespoons Sesame oil, as needed
- Kosher salt and black pepper, as needed
- Garlic powder, as needed
- 2 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tablespoon Freshly grated ginger
- Cook the rice according to package directions, after cooking place in the fridge to cool.
- Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and cook the chicken breast on both sides for about 3-4 minutes each. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest before cutting into slices and then cut the slices into chunks.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the same pan or wok, over medium heat. Add the green and yellow onions, ginger and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add a little more oil if needed. Add in the rice, peas and carrots and stir to combine. Add soy sauce, sesame oil. Mix well and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Add in chopped chicken breast and mix.
- Push everything to one side of the skillet and add 1 teaspoon oil to the other side of the skillet.
- Add the lightly beaten eggs and scramble, combine with the chicken and rice mixture.
- Stir continuously, to give time for the flavors to come together. Add more soy sauce or sesame oil as needed. Enjoy!