This Easy Hashbrown Casserole is so cheesy and simple to make right at home. Great for breakfast or even as a side at dinner!
Now we’ve all heard of Cracker Barrel or been to the restaurant right? If not, you’ve got to go because the food is the bomb.They have the most amazing comfort meals and yummy breakfast which is my favorite, especially their Hashbrown Casserole. After trying Cracker Barrel’s Hashbrown Casserole for the first time years ago I Instantly fell in love, I just kept thinking how come this is my first time trying this…where the heck have I been? From that point on I knew I had to figure out how to make this just as good, so here we are!
Now if you were to search for an Easy Hashbrown Casserole recipe I’m sure you’ll find that a ton of recipes call for canned soup. Well not over here, eh…I’m super excited to share my version that does not require a can of condensed cream of soup yet is still creamy, cheesy and good AF! This is a decent sized casserole, so its recipe for potlucks or any time that you’re going to be feeding a crowd.
CAN I FREEZE HASHBROWN CASSEROLE?
Absolutely, you can easily freeze this casserole after it has been prepared and cooled.
CAN I USE FROZEN HASHBROWNS?
I strongly recommend thawing the hashbrowns before using as the cooking process could take a bit longer due to them being frozen. Frozen Hashbrowns also release a lot of moisture and the dish may end up not baking properly.
Easy Hashbrown Casserole
- 1 26 oz. Bag frozen Hashbrowns, thawed
- ½ Stick of butter
- 1½ Tablespoons Flour
- ½ Cup Yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Cup Sour cream
- 1 Cup Heavy cream, as needed
- Kosher salt and black pepper, as needed
- 1½ Cup Shredded cheddar cheese, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a casserole dish and add in hashbrowns. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add in flour to start to form your roux, once flour is combined add in heavy cream and continue to whisk away any clumps until sauce as begun to slightly thicken.
- Add in about a half a cup of cheddar cheese, salt and pepper and whisk until combined. Add more cheese if needed and set aside.
- In the casserole dish or a large bowl mix together the cheese sauce, sour cream, additional shredded cheese if you like it extra cheesy and additional salt and pepper if you’d like.
- The mixture should be thick and creamy. Spread evenly in a casserole dish (if you mixed everything in a bow)l and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes OR until nice and bubbly and cheesy.
- Remove from oven and cool for a couple of minutes. Enjoy!