These Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Skewers are made with an amazing pineapple ginger sauce!
Spring is finally here and I’m so excited for it to start warming up again. This recipe is packed with so many delicious flavors and trust me… you will fall in love! I’ve never actually been to Hawaii but would love to go, and this recipe makes me feel like I’m hangin on the beach living my best life!
Good thing about these Grilled Hawaiin Chicken Skewers is that you don’t necessarily have to fire up the grill if you don’t have one or just don’t feel like it. I wouldn’t blame you because sometimes lighting up a charcoal grill can be a ton of work. So, instead a great alternative is to use a cast iron grill pan which is what I used for this recipe and they came out perfect! The sauce is not too sweet but has the perfect balance of sweet, sour and heat.
HOW LONG SHOULD I MARINATE THE CHICKEN?
- For a whole chicken I recommend marinating for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Cubed chicken, chicken breast, wings or legs will take less time and will absorb the sauce quicker. I recommend marinating 30 minutes to an hour. Overnight works fine as well.
HOW LONG SHOULD I SOAK MY SKEWERS?
- At minimum 30 minutes. If you have more time, then overnight would be perfect! Well soaked skewers will last much longer on the grill without burning!
CAN I PREPARE THIS RECIPE THE NIGHT BEFORE?
- Absolutely! Once the skewers have been soaked and the chicken has been marinated, build them and place the skewers in the dish or pan, cover with foil or plastic wrap and continue to marinate in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Skewers
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 10-12 Wood skewers, soaked in water
For the Marinade
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1½ Tablespoon Fresh Ginger, chopped
- 2 Cups Pineapple Juice
- ½ Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- ½ Cup Ketchup, more as needed
- ⅓ Cup Sweet Chili Sauce, more as needed
- ½ Tablespoon Sesame Oil, more as needed
- ½ Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce, more as needed
- ⅓ Cup Brown Sugar, more as needed
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha
- Garlic powder, as needed
- Kosher salt and black pepper, as needed
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- In 2 gallon zip lock bags or 1 large bowl add the chicken and half of the marinade ingredients and put in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes to an hour. Reserve the other half to baste your skewers later.
- Preheat the grill pan on medium heat or fire up the grill and spray with a little non stick cooking spray. Thread the chicken on skewers about 6-8 pieces each.
- Grill the chicken skewers turning and basting often with the additional sauce. Cook for about 8-10 minutes until cooked all the way through.
- Once cooked, feel free to grill up some zucchini, and pineapple to serve with Jasmine rice. Enjoy!