These Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Hot Honey are easy to make and tasty and will taste great with just about any entree!
Hasselback potatoes are basically the new baked potato! You can make them savory or sweet add toppings or keep it simple, they’re super versatile and literally require no effort to make other than the slicing.
WHAT ARE HASSELBACK POTATOES?
Hasselback Potato is a potato, sliced into thin wedges but left intact at the bottom, baked until the layers fan-out into rounds of crispy amazingness. It was created in a restaurant in Sweden called Hasselbacken hence its name.
- Choose narrow sweet potatoes that are uniform in size and scrub them clean. Pat dry and place on a cutting board (This is to ensure the skins will crisp up nicely). If they are super wobbly, you can take a small slice off the bottom to create a flat bottom.
- Slice the potatoes into 1/8” slices without slicing all the way through the potato.You will want to leave about ½ inch of the potato intact on the bottom. The easiest way to do this is to take two wooden spoons and lay the potato in between to prevent you from cutting all the way through the potato.
- Try and make the slices as uniform as possible to ensure more even cooking, but if not, no biggie!
LOOKING FOR MORE POTATO RECIPES?
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Hot Honey
- 4-5 Slices of Bacon
- 3 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1½ Tablespoons Chives, chopped as needed
- 1½ Teaspoon Hot Sauce, more as needed
- Kosher salt, as needed
- 4 Medium sized Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- One at a time, place a potato between the handles of 2 wooden spoons. Slice each potato into 1/8-inch-thick slices; the spoon handles will prevent the knife from cutting all the way through. Place the potatoes on a foil lined sheet tray until ready to bake.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove from the pan and set aside. When cool, chop into pieces.
- Use some of the bacon grease and brush the potatoes all over the top, sides and between the slices. Then sprinkle with kosher salt.
- In the same pan with the remaing bacon grease add the honey, hot sauce and paprika and mix well. Set aside
- Roast the potatoes until they are soft, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and top with the bacon and add between the slices. Drizzle with hot honey and top with chives. Enjoy!