Coated in garlic and herb butter, then cooked to golden brown perfection. This Herb Roasted Chicken is tender, juicy and the perfect weeknight meal when you’re pinched for time!
There really isn’t anything more satisfying than a juicy whole herb roasted chicken with a nice crispy skin. Who agrees? I don’t usually make whole roasted chicken for dinner, for those of you that are new here it’s mainly due to the fact that my husband doesn’t eat chicken on the bone. CRAZY right? Well, whenever I can make a whole chicken I take advantage. Now that Jackson is getting older, it’s one more person in the house that pretty much eats what I eat which is exciting. I usually just grab a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store or pick up one at Viva Chicken whenever I’m craving it.
I love how easy it is to make roasted chicken, like you legit can’t mess it up. You pretty much just mix a bunch of herbs with butter, boursin cheese spread, shallots, garlic and lemon zest and rub it all over the chicken and bake for a little while and you’re done! So easy right?
HOW LONG SHOULD I ROAST MY CHICKEN?
A whole chicken needs to cook at 400 F for about 45 minutes to an hour. Usually I’ll cook at a higher temperature (425F) to get that nice golden brown skin.
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN A ROASTED CHICKEN IS DONE?
The easiest way to tell when your chicken is done is to use a thermometer. The internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken should read 165F. It’s 2021 so you should definitely own a kitchen thermometer if you don’t have one already!
DO I NEED TO BUTTERFLY MY CHICKEN?
I recommend doing so to cut down on cooking time. To butterfly your chicken you will want to remove the backbone and open the chicken up to lay flat.
Questions about this Herb Roasted Chicken? Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #chefelizabethreese on Instagram, I’d love to see your creations!
Check out a few of my favorite Chicken Recipes below!
- Blueberry Barbecue Chicken
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken
- Creamy Boursin Chicken
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Pasta
Herb Roasted Chicken
For the Chicken
- 1 4-5lb Whole Chicken
- 1 Chopped Yellow Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Sliced
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- Herbs de Provence, as needed
- Old Bay, as needed
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper, as needed
- Paprika, as needed
- Kinders Garlic & Herb Butter Seasoning
For the Herb Butter
- 1 Shallot, Minced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Rosemary, Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme, Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 5oz Package Boursin Cheese Spread
- 1 Stick Softened Butter
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Butterfly the Chicken by removing the spine.
- On the bottom of a roasting pan or baking dish large enough for the chicken, add the yellow onion, garlic and bay leaves.
- Place the butter, garlic, shallots, rosemary, thyme, lemon zest and boursin cheese in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Rub the herb butter mixture all over the chicken, both on the outside of the chicken and underneath the skin. Like slather the chicken in the herb butter, mmkay!
- Place the chicken in the roasting pan. Cook the chicken for about 45 minutes to an hour or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165°F.
- Check your chicken throughout the cooking process to make sure the skin isn’t getting too crispy. If this happens to you, you can cover the chicken with foil.
- Once you remove the Chicken from the oven, let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before carving. Serve with the chicken drippings, enjoy!