These Holiday Cake Batter Cookies are soft and chewy with a crisp edge. An easy Christmas cookie recipe that is perfect for any holiday dessert spread, but great any time of year!
Let me start by saying, how is it already basically Christmas? Like where did the year go? Just WOW. Anyway, I don’t think you can ever have enough Christmas cookie recipes…so today I’m sharing these yummy Cake Batter Cookies! I love how these cookies have the perfect cookie texture. They’re soft, chewy and slightly crisp on the edges. The rich vanilla flavor from the cake mix and the added moisture that comes from the instant pudding mix are literally an amazing combo! These are also great if you want to freeze half the dough and bake later.
CAN I FREEZE THE COOKIE DOUGH?
Yes! Follow the steps below to freeze your cookie dough.
- Make the cookie dough.
- Transfer the dough to the fridge to chill for about an hour.
- Scoop out balls of cookie dough and place onto a parchment-lined sheet tray.
- Flash freeze the cookie dough. Transfer the sheet tray to the freezer and let the cookie dough chill for about 30 minutes. This will allow the balls of cookie dough to become solid so when you put them on top of each other in a freezer bag they don’t stick to each other.
- Make sure you chill the dough! This is very important since we used room temperature butter. The dough will need time to chill, it also gives the flavors and textures time to come together.
- Please make sure you are measuring properly. I recommend spooning your ingredients in the measuring cups and leveling them off with the back of a butter knife, especially the flour.
- Let your cookies cool! I know it will be super hard but totally worth it in order to get that soft chewy center and crispy edge.
- These cookies taste best 1-2 days after being made. They do last up to a week in an airtight container and kept at room temperature. However, be sure to wait until cookies are completely cooled before adding them to the container.
Questions about these Holiday Cake Batter Cookies? Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #chefelizabethreese on Instagram, I’d love to see your creations!
Holiday Cake Batter Cookies
- 1½ Stick Buter, Room Temperature
- ¾ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Egg, Room Temperature
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Cup Dry Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 1 Cup Dry Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1¼ Cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Holiday Sprinkles of your choice
- ½ Cup White Chocolate Chips
- Whisk the dry ingredients- all purpose flour, baking soda, salt, Dry Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix , Dry Vanilla Cake Mix, in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment (or a bowl with a hand mixer), beat the butter, light brown sugar and granulated sugar for about 3-5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer a little at a time and mix together until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Fold the sprinkles, along with the white chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for about 1-2 hours or longer if possible.
- Once the dough has chilled. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Scoop cookie dough onto a parchment paper-lined sheet tray with a standard cookie scoop.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, then allow to finish baking on the hot cookie sheet for about 2ish minutes
- Top with extra white chocolate chips and sprinkles if you'd like while the cookies are still warm. Transfer to a wired rack. Enjoy!