This Homemade Hamburger Helper recipe is quick, easy and packed with flavor! Imagine the boxed Hamburger Helper but better!
Hamburger Helper is one of those recipes that takes me back to my childhood/ college days. I used to eat it about once or twice a month and always loved it! I will say that it’s not the healthiest, which is why I’ve always wanted to recreate this recipe to make it truly homemade, healthier and taste even better. This is the perfect recipe to make during the colder months and will have you feeling super cozy. A big bowl of this with fresh french bread is honestly a whole vibe.
I love that this recipe makes for great leftovers for at least a couple of days.
WHAT KIND OF PASTA SHOULD I USE?
You can use elbow pasta or shells for this recipe. You could even use rotini pasta if available. I prefer to use shells because they’re great at absorbing the creamy cheese sauce
Check out a few of my favorite quick and easy dinner meals!
- One Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Oven Baked BBQ Chicken
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
Questions about this Homemade Hamburger Helper? Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #chefelizabethreese on Instagram, I’d love to see your creations!
Homemade Hamburger Helper
- 1 Box Shells
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- ½ Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 1½ Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Tomato Sauce
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper, as needed
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard
- 4 Oz Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Fresh Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Teaspoon Tomato Paste
- Cook noodles according to package instructions, set aside. In a large sauté pan with a lid, cook the ground beef over medium heat.
- Add in the onions, Herbs de Provence, Italian Seasoning, Chili Powder, Smoked Paprika, Kosher Salt and Black Pepper, and garlic powder. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 ish minutes.
- Mix in the garlic, tomato paste and yellow mustard. Add the flour and stir to cook for about 1-2ish minutes, stir in the cream cheese until well incorporated.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and chicken broth, mix well. Add heavy cream and cover with a lid and simmer for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste. Add in cooked noodles, and cheddar cheese. mix well. Enjoy!