Homemade Pimento Cheese is the perfect spread for an afternoon snack or an appetizer before dinner. You can also use it in tons of variations like burgers, sandwiches and mac and cheese!
WHAT THE HECK IS PIMENTO CHEESE?
Pimento cheese is a true Southern classic. You can typically find it paired with a lot of dishes like, burgers, fried green tomatoes mac and cheese, sandwiches… oh the list goes on. But I love it with crackers and burgers especially! The base of the recipe is pretty simple, shredded cheese is combined with mayo and diced pimentos. However, everyone has their own variation of it. Some use different types of cheese and spices.
WHAT ARE PIMENTO PEPPERS?
Pimento peppers are small, red chili like peppers. They are sort of sweet and have more flavor than red bell peppers but taste pretty similar. You can typically find them in small jars, already chopped. They are normally located near the roasted red peppers in jars, or garlic. They are on the same aisle that you would find canned goods or sometimes on the aisle with condiments.
Homemade Pimento Cheese
- 8 oz Cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise, add more as needed
- 2½-3 Cups Fiesta blend shredded cheese
- 4 oz Diced pimentos, drained
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin, add more as needed to enhance the flavor
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, mayo and fiesta blend cheese.
- Add chopped pimentos, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Serve right away or cover and chill in the fridge for about an hour to really let the flavors come together. Enjoy!