This Loaded Sweet Potato Casserole is packed with brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice and topped with toasty marshmallows and chopped pecans! It’s the perfect side dish to add to your Thanksgiving dinner!
There’s just something comforting about the smell of cinnamon and toasted marshmallows that just gets me excited for what’s about to come. Would you consider sweet potato casserole a dessert or a side dish? Hard to decide, right? Well for me, I’ve always considered this a side dish, it’s like a little warm up to pies and cakes I’ll eat for dessert. Did I also mention how incredibly easy this recipe is to make? You literally just have to boil the sweet potatoes, cook them until tender and then mash them up. Mix in all the spices and vanilla then add marshmallows and chopped pecans on top and bake!
Whether you’re making this Loaded Sweet Potato Casserole for a potluck, friendsgiving or Thanksgiving dinner, this casserole is by far the BEST side dish in my opinion!
CAN SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME?
Absolutely! Once all of the spices have been added and the sweet potato mixture has cooled and everything is well combined, add the mixture to the casserole dish (without the marshmallows and pecans) and place it in the fridge for up to 2 days. Once you’re ready to bake, remove from the fridge and bake the casserole mixture until heated through then top with marshmallows and pecans.
If you’re prepping for the holidays, check out some of my other recipes! The Ultimate Baked Mac & Cheese, Southern Collard Greens, Green Bean Casserole, Creamed Corn, Mini Dutch Apple Pie, Apple Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread, Caramel Apple Spiced Cupcakes.
Loaded Sweet Potato Casserole
- 6 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- ¼ Cup Heavy Cream
- 1½-2 Tablespoons Ground Cinnamon, as needed
- 1½ Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice, as needed
- 2-3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, as needed
- ½ Tablespoon Nutmeg
- ½ Cup Chopped pecans
- 2-3 Cups Marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a casserole dish or spray with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the whole sweet potatoes with the skin on in a large pot of boiling water, and boil until tender (you should be able to stick a fork in and out smoothly). Drain, and let cool for a couple of minutes. Cut in half and peel the skin right off. Return the sweet potatoes to the pot.
- Add butter, heavy cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar to the potatoes and mash until smooth.
- Be sure to taste the potatoes and add additional spices, if needed.
- Transfer the mashed sweet potatoes to the prepared casserole dish. Top with marshmallows, and chopped pecans.
- Place in the oven until the marshmallows are nice and toasty. Enjoy!