This Mango Chili Chicken is a perfect combination of sweet and spicy flavors!
I never get enough of the sweet spicy combo for recipes, I feel like it’s usually such a great balance and can work with just about any protein option. Ok, now let’s get into this Mango Chili Chicken…It’s actually fairly simple to make and you can sear the chicken and make the sauce right in one pan. Thats’ certainly a win in my book, especially for those busy weeknights when you barely even feel like cooking.
HOW DO I CUT A MANGO?
So, there are two ways that you can cut a mango:
The first way is to peel the entire mango and cut it from the sides leaving the pit. Cube the sliced part and then cube the mango around the pit.
The second way is to slice the mangoes from both sides from top to bottom without peeling (this is how I usually cut my mango). Now, make cuts horizontally and diagonally in the halved part leaving the skin of the mangoes intact. Using a spoon, scoop out the mango and throw the skin away. Then cut the rest of the mango into cubes.
DO I HAVE TO USE CHICKEN THIGHS?
Absolutely not, you can certainly use chicken breasts if you prefer. However, In my experience, they won’t be as juicy and tender. I suggest you use chicken thighs to make this because they’re packed with juicy flavor and they don’t dry out at high temperatures.
The good thing is that if you decide to use chicken breast they take less time to cook!
HOW LONG SHOULD I COOK THE CHICKEN THIGHS?
Chicken thighs are cooked when there is no longer any pink running through the meat. The internal temperature of the chicken should also read 165˚F.
Questions about this Mango Chili Chicken? Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #chefelizabethreese on Instagram, I’d love to see your creations!
Need more chicken recipes? Check out a few of my favorites below.
- Blueberry BBQ Chicken
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs
- Baked Chicken Burritos
- Oven Baked BBQ Chicken
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
- Sweet Chili Chicken
Mango Chili Chicken
For the Chicken
- 6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- Canola Oil, enough to lightly coat the chicken
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil for searing the Chicken
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ Tablespoon Garlic powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ½ Tablespoon Chili Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
For the Mango Chili Sauce
- 2 Cups Mango Nectar
- 2 Tablespoons Sweet Chili Paste (I use Sambal Oelek)
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper, as needed
- 4 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 Whole Mango, Cubbed
- Lightly coat the chicken thighs in a little canola oil and generously season both sides of the chicken with the garlic powder, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, onion powder, chili powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add the butter and about 1 tablespoon of canola oil.
- Sear the chicken on both sides until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside, keep warm.
- Add in the garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant, be careful not to burn.
- Pour in the Mango nectar then add in the sweet chili paste and mix well. Continue simmering for about 2ish minutes then add in fresh lime juice.
- Mix in cubed mangoes. Taste then adjust seasonings as needed. Enjoy!