You’re going to love this moist, juicy, and tender Oven Baked BBQ Chicken recipe. This chicken requires only a few ingredients and is an easy, flavorful weeknight dinner.
You guys already know that I am not one to shy away from delicious and simple recipes. I know that many of you guys are also moms or dads of little ones. So I’m sure you know exactly how it feels to work all day and have to prepare a meal for your family. This Oven Baked BBQ Chicken is perfect for those long days and hectic nights!
This is an effortless dinner idea that’s not only kid-friendly (because my son loves it) but budget-friendly as well! With just a few quick and simple steps, you’ll have the perfect weeknight meal.
- Do not add the barbecue sauce at the beginning of the cooking process, because the BBQ sauce will likely over-caramelize and ultimately burn before the chicken has a chance to cook through. Not only this, but the skin on the chicken would not have a chance to crisp up first.
- Adding the BBQ sauce after you let your chicken cook for about 15 minutes allows the oil to help the skin crisp up and makes the chicken even more juicy!
DO I HAVE TO USE CHICKEN THIGHS?
Absolutely not, you can certainly use chicken breasts if you prefer. However, In my experience, they won’t be as juicy and tender. The good thing is that if you decide to use chicken breast they take less time to cook!
HOW LONG SHOULD I COOK THE CHICKEN THIGHS?
- Chicken thighs are cooked when there is no longer any pink running through the meat. The internal temperature of the chicken should also read 165˚F.
Questions about this Oven Baked BBQ Chicken? Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #chefelizabethreese on Instagram, I’d love to see your creations!
NEED MORE CHICKEN RECIPES? CHECK OUT A FEW OF MY FAVORITES BELOW.
- Blueberry BBQ Chicken
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs
- Baked Chicken Burritos
- Herb Roasted Chicken
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken
For the Chicken
- 6-7 Bone-In Chicken Thighs (Skin On)
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Old Bay
- 1 Teaspoon Smoky Paprika Chipotle (Can also use Smoked Paprika with a mix of Chipotle Seasoning)
- ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Canola Oil
For the Sauce
- 2 Cups Of your Favorite Barbecue Sauce
- 2 Dashes Worcestershire sauce, more as needed
- 1 Teaspoon Grape Jelly
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Yellow Mustard
- 1½ Teaspoon Peach Preserves
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- In a large bowl, mix in the Barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Jelly, brown sugar, mustard, and peach preserves. Set aside.
- Generously coat the chicken in canola oil including under the skin and generously season with all of the spices (even under the skin).
- Prepare a foil lined sheet tray with a wired rack and arrange the chicken on top(skin side up).
- Roast the chicken for about 15 minutes then remove from the oven and coat both sides of the chicken with half of the barbecue sauce and bake for about 20 ish minutes. Remove again baste the chicken with the additional barbecue sauce.
- Broil the chicken on high for about 2-3 minutes until nice and crispy (be careful not to burn). Flip the chicken and follow the same steps (if you’d like). Enjoy!