This Pumpkin Spice French Toast is the perfect fall breakfast! Fluffy pieces of brioche bread cooked to perfection with a slight crisp topped with delicious maple syrup, whipped cream and chopped pecans.
I feel like when the holidays roll around which is basically October, here comes all the apple and pumpkin spice recipes LOL! Well I’m here with another pumpkin recipe which you guys will love, mmkay!
Breakfast is my jam and pretty much tastes amazing anytime of the day in my opinion. It’s definitely not just reserved for the “morning” or “brunch” time. Anyone else agree? Whenever I make this french toast my house smells heavenly and feels super cozy. I feel like french toast is definitely one of those recipes that is super easy to make and can be made pretty quickly and the kids will LOVE it.
WHAT TYPE OF BREAD SHOULD I USE?
You definitely want to choose a sturdy thicker sliced bread that will not fall apart when you put it into the egg mixture before frying. You also want to make sure your bread is able to be cooked to a perfect golden brown. I have found that Challah, Brioche or French bread work the best as they tend to hold its shape when drenched in the egg mixture. They also toast really well and stay moist on the inside.
- Make sure you use Pure Pumpkin Puree and not Pumpkin Pie Filling. Pumpkin Pie Filling is usually made with additional spices and ingredients which slightly affects the flavor.
- Make sure you use a well greased nonstick pan because the last thing you want is your french toast sticking to your pan and straight up falling apart.
- Generously coat the bread on both sides in the batter, however you want to make sure you don’t completely dredge your bread in the batter to prevent super soggy french toast. Then gently shake off excess batter before placing each slice in the pan.
- Try not to use too much butter when cooking the French Toast because the butter will cause the bread to cook quicker on the outside and potentially burn.
Questions about these Pumpkin Spice French Toast? Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #chefelizabethreese on Instagram, I’d love to see your creations!
Pumpkin Spice French Toast
- 10-12 Slices Brioche Bread
- 1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 4 Large Eggs
- ½ Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- ½ Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Chopped Pecans, optional
- Whipped Cream, optional
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray, as needed
- 1-2 Canola oil, as needed
- In a shallow dish, whisk eggs, milk, vanilla extract, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin puree and ground cinnamon until well combined. Set aside.
- Melt butter and a little canola oil in a skillet over medium heat. Spray with a little non-stick cooking spray.
- Dip each slice of brioche bread into the egg mixture, being sure to lightly coat all sides and shaking off excess (Do not drench).
- Add to a large skillet over medium heat and cook on each side for about 1-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Top with syrup, pecans, and whipped cream. Enjoy!