This Salmon Macaroni Salad is a delicious make-ahead recipe. Perfect for summer events and potlucks!
Oddly, not many people like macaroni salad and I feel like it has a bad reputation. No idea why because I love it and its delicious haha. I’m the one that comes to summer events quietly asking for macaroni salad fearing that i’ll be judged. I can’t be the only one right? If you’re hating on macaroni salad that’s about to change with this bomb Salmon Macaroni Salad. Trust me.
I’ve been on this seafood kick lately, so here we are back with another one! Guys, when I tell you I literally crushed this macaroni salad… whew! Yes, it was that good. Especially after about a day in the fridge when all of the flavors and spices really had a chance to come together. I love how easy this recipe is to make, you can even scale it up a bit for larger crowds.
CAN YOU MAKE THIS AHEAD OF TIME?
You sure can! Once everything has been mixed together you can store the macaroni salad in the refrigerator for several hours. Keep in mind that as the macaroni salad sits in the refrigerator, the pasta will begin to absorb some of the dressing, so it may not be as creamy as it initially was.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MACARONI SALAD AND PASTA SALAD?
Pasta salad is oil and vinegar base like Italian dressing and not typically creamy. Macaroni salad on the other hand is much creamier. Elbow macaroni is traditionally used and tossed in a mayonnaise type of dressing.
Questions about this Salmon Macaroni Salad? Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #chefelizabethreeseon Instagram, I’d love to see your creations!
Salmon Macaroni Salad
- 1 lb Salmon
- 1 Box Macaroni Noodles
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- 1 Shallot, diced
- 1½ Stick Celery, diced
- 2½ Tablespoons Chives, chopped
- ½ Cup Mayonaise, more as needed
- 2 Tablespoons Sour Cream, as needed
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard, as needed
- 2 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Zest
- 2 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce, as needed
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper, as needed
- Old Bay Seasoning, as needed
- Smoky Paprika Chipotle, as needed
- Garlic Powder, as needed
- Chili Powder, as needed
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil plus ½ tablespoon to coat the salmon
- Cook macaroni noodles according to package instructions. Al dente.
- Coat the salmon in a little oil. Generously season with garlic powder, old bay, smoky paprika chipotle, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sear the salmon on both sides for about 4-5 minutes until cooked all the way through. Remove from the heat. Once cooled, carefully break apart with your hands.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, lemon zest, chives, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon old bay, kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
- Fold in the macaroni noodles, salmon, pepper, shallot and celery. Add additional mayonnaise, dijon or sour cream if needed. Adjust spices if needed, cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours. Enjoy!