This delicious Shrimp Fettuccine Pasta in a homemade Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce includes all of the flavors you’ll love. From garlic, parmesan cheese, and basil this mouthwatering dish is easy enough for a weeknight meal!
How do I clean shrimp?
Arrange a clean area near the kitchen sink. To shell the shrimp, pull on the legs and the shell will begin to peel away. You can remove the tail or keep the tails on for aesthetics. Now take a small pairing knife and make a shallow cut down the center of the back to the top edge of the tail of the shrimp. To remove the black intestine, run cool water over the back of the shrimp and rub off so the vein will come out easily. Dry the shrimp with paper towels and refrigerate until ready to cook.
How do I know if my shrimp are cooked?
Shrimp cook incredibly fast so be careful. If overcooked they become very chewy and are not nearly as good. When shrimp are done they turn light pink on the outside and are no longer translucent but more white. Another way to identify when shrimp are cooked through is when they curl into a ‘C” shape (but not too tight). The head and the tail should not be touching. You have to be ready to go and remove them from the pan as quickly as possible. If you have never cooked shrimp before purchase a little more than the recipe calls for to test out a few in some butter over medium high heat.
What the heck is Béchamel Sauce?
Its basically a fancy word for cheese sauce. This is also known as “white sauce” which is made from roux and milk or heavy cream. Béchamel Sauce is used as the base for other sauces.
Shrimp Fettuccine with a Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 8 Ounces Fettuccine pasta (1/2 pack)
- 2 lbs Large Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 16 Ounces Roasted red peppers in the jar
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 4 Cloves Chopped garlic
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried basil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic powder (optional)
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 Cups Heavy cream
- 1/2 Cup Grated parmesan cheese
- 4 Tablespoons Flour
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the fettuccine according to the package instructions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- Strain the liquid from the jar with the roasted red peppers and place into a food processor or bullet blender and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Season shrimp with kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- Heat up a large, non-stick pan. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and cook shrimp for 3-4 minutes on medium high heat. Add in chopped garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- In a sauce pot melt 4 tablespoons of butter then add in your flour to form a roux.
- Add in heavy cream and whisk to avoid any clumps
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour béchamel sauce and pureed roasted red peppers into the pot with fettuccine and mix together.
- Add in shrimp and mix everything together
- Garnish with freshly chopped green onion and grated parmesan cheese.