This homemade Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa recipe is so easy to make for anyone who doesn’t like spending time in the kitchen. It’s super flavorful and yummy! Perfect for nachos, tacos, salads, quesadillas and more.
To keep things as easy as possible, for this recipe you’re basically just going to season and sear your beef on both sides then throw everything in the pot and let the slow cooker do all of the work for you. Super easy right? I prefer to sear the beef in about 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a sauté pan before adding it to a slow cooker, which will result in a slightly richer flavor and a nice crust. However, you don’t necessarily have to. You can skip that step and throw all of the ingredients in the slow cooker. Completely up to you! The beef is still very tender and flavorful if cooked 100% in the slow cooker.
Once the beef has simmered for a couple of hours, it will be juicy, flavorful and begin to fall apart easily when shredded with two forks. If you’re not really into soft tacos, you can serve this slow cooker beef barbacoa Chipotle-style in a burrito, or “burrito” rice bowl, or a salad.
TIPS FOR COOKING BARBACOA
Start with a good cut of boneless chuck roast. A good quality cut will have a nice amount of fat that will render out in the slow cooker without being super fatty. For very best results, use a fresh chuck roast that has not been frozen. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours, or on high for 6 hours until tender.
Questions about this Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa? Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #chefelizabethreese on Instagram, I’d love to see your creations!
Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa
- 1-2 Tablespoons Canola oil
- 3 1/2 lbs Chuck pot roast or chuck tender roast
- 1/2 Cup Chicken stock (I prefer to use chicken stock as beef can sometimes be a bit salty)
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Chili powder
- 1 1/2 Tablepsoon Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Black pepper
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Onion powder
- 1 Taco Seasoning pack (optional; can be added for extra flavor)
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped cilantro
- 1/3 Cup Lizano salsa (can add more if needed)
- 1/2 Cup Sliced yellow onion
- Season beef generously with all of the spices including the taco seasoning pack if using.
- In a large skillet, heat 1-2 tablespoons of canola oil to medium high, sear beef on both sides to form a nice crust. Remember you are not cooking the beef all the way through, this is just to get a nice crust on the outside.
- Add the chicken stock to the bottom of the slow cooker along with the yellow onions.
- Place boneless chuck roast in the slow cooker on top of the stock and onions.
- Spread the Lizano Salsa on top of the beef.
- Cover and cook on high for about 6 hours or on low for about 8-9 hours, or until meat is fork tender.
- Once meat is tender, shred in slow cooker and serve with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a couple pinches of cilantro.
Leave a Reply