Smothered Pork Chops
Juicy and delicious pan-seared Smothered Pork Chops cooked in a creamy homemade onion, pepper gravy.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
- 4-5 Thin Bone- In pork chops
- 1½ Cup Flour
- ½ Cup Yellow onion, chopped
- ½ Cup Red pepper, sliced
- ½ Cup Green pepper, sliced
- ½ Cup Yellow pepper, sliced
- 2-3 Tablespoons Heavy cream
- 2 Cups Chicken broth, as needed
- ½-1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, as needed
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, as needed
- ¼ Cup Canola oil, as needed
- Kosher salt and black pepper, as needed
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic powder, as needed
- ½ Tablespoons Paprika
- ½ Tablespoon Chili powder
- ½ Tablespoon Cumin
- 3 Tablespoons Flour for gravy
Whisk together the flour and all of the spices in plate. Dredge the pork chops in the flour mixture.
Heat canola oil and about 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet or cast iron over medium heat.
Fry the pork chops in batches until nicely browned on both sides and cooked all the way through. About 2-3 minutes per side. Remove the pork chops from the skillet and set aside, keep warm.
Add 1 tablespoon of butter, the onions and peppers to the same skillet and cook. Stirring occasionally until the onions are slightly translucent and the peppers are tender. Add in Worcestershire sauce.
In the same skillet, add 3 tablespoons flour.
Whisk the mixture for about 2 minutes or so into a roux and cook until the mixture turns golden.
Whisk in the stock a little at a time, whisking out all the lumps. Once the sauce begins to slightly thicken add in the cream.
Feel free to add more stock if the gravy is too thick. Taste and add additional seasoning if you’d like. Add the pork chops back to the pan. Enjoy!