Southern Collard Greens
These Southern Collard Greens are simmered in a flavorful chicken broth with smoked turkey necks. They’re perfect for Thanksgiving or any day of the week!
- 1½ Tablespoons Butter
- ½ Tablespoon Canola oil, as needed
- 3-4 Smoked Turkey Necks
- 2 lbs Fresh Collard Greens (Can also use pre cut, pre washed collard greens in the bag)
- 1 Medium Yellow onion, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1½ Cups Chicken stock, add more as needed
- 2-3 Splashes Hot sauce
- Kosher salt and pepper, as needed
- Garlic powder, as needed
- ½ Tablespoon Crushed red pepper flakes, as needed
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika, as needed
Wash greens and using a sharp knife, cut out the stem and discard. Chop leaves into 2 inch squares.
Add butter, canola oil, onions, garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant.
Add in smoked turkey necks, collards, garlic powder, paprika, pepper, salt (small amount in the beginning).
Add a little chicken stock, cover and cook on low for about 2 hours at a minimum. Half way through add in hot sauce and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Season to taste. Enjoy!