Where are all of my Marsala lovers at? This Marsala Pasta with Italian Sausage is the recipe that you’ve been waiting for! I know you’re probably thinking sausage with marsala wine.. what? Trust me, you won’t regret it!
I’m sure you’re probably wondering why I decided to use sausage and not chicken. Well, I love Chicken Marsala but wanted to try something different. It’s not a recipe that you come across every day. The rosemary, sausage and marsala wine will have your taste buds going crazy and will become a top request by your family and even the little ones. My nieces love it!
If you’re not really feeling the sausage, you can totally make this dish vegetarian. However, I would recommend adding more mushrooms. It may seem like a lot but remember, mushrooms cook down quite a bit. Adding in the extra mushrooms will give this dish a meaty feel, but without the meat.
Marsala Pasta with Italian Sausage
- 1 Box Penne Pasta
- 1- 1/2 lb Ground Italian sausage
- 2 Cups Portobello mushrooms
- 1 Cup Grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 3 Cloves minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped rosemary
- 1-2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Cup Marsala cooking wine
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic powder (as needed)
- 1-1/2 Cup Heavy cream
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons salt and penne pasta. Cook according to the directions on the box.
- Add sausage to a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Brown the sausage for about 8-10 minutes until cooked through and transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- In the same pan, add about 2 tablespoon of butter the sliced mushrooms, minced garlic and chopped rosemary.
- Cook for about 4 minutes until the mushrooms are tender and the garlic is fragrant. Be sure to stir constantly so the garlic does not burn.
- Add the marsala wine and raise the heat to medium high. Cook for about 10 minutes until the liquid starts to reduce a little.
- Reduce the heat back to medium. Add in the heavy cream and stir until combined. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Season to taste.
- Drain the pasta when it is done.
- Add the sausage, cooked penne pasta, and 1 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese, and combine.
- Top with additional grated parmigiano reggiano cheese if desired.