This sweet Honey Butter Cornbread is moist, fluffy and buttery! It’s the perfect addition to any meal!
Now don’t get me wrong, boxed cornbread can definitely be handy. But nothing beats the taste of warm, homemade honey butter cornbread made from scratch. Honestly, it really isn’t as intimidating as you’d think to make this Honey Butter Cornbread! It’s literally a handful of ingredients that you mix up and pour into a pan and boom you’re done.
With Fall and Winter months slowly approaching this cornbread recipe will be your new favorite side for soups, stews and chili!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It requires minimal ingredients and it is super easy to whip up.
- It’s fluffy, butter and moist and has just the right amount of sweetness.
- This recipe is versatile meaning you can add a few additional ingredients to mix it up a bit like bacon, cheese or jalapenos.
- With Fall and Winter coming up it’s the perfect addition to tons of recipes like soups and stews!
- Don’t overmix the batter! This is similar to quick bread, pancakes or muffins. You will want to only stir the wet and dry ingredients together until they’re JUST combined. Overmixing yields a dense and gummy cornbread and we don’t want that. This is also why I like to make sure all of the dry ingredients are combined in one bowl and the wet in another THEN add the two together.
WHAT KIND OF PAN SHOULD I USE?
I’ve used both a 9×13 pan as well as a 9×9 pan and they both worked perfectly. However, if you do decide to use a 9×9 pan then you will need to make sure your oven is set to 375 to ensure the cornbread will cook through because you will be using a deeper pan which will yield thick pieces of cornbread like in my pictures (I used a 9×9).
HOW DO I STORE THIS RECIPE?
You can store this Honey Butter Cornbread in an airtight container on the counter at room temperature for about 2-3 ish days.
DO I HAVE TO USE CREAMED CORN?
No, you do not. That’s totally optional, I like to add it because it adds some additional moisture to the cornbread and the sweet kernels throughout add a nice touch. If you like dryer cornbread then you can skip the creamed corn.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS RECIPE!
- Hot Honey Chicken
- Buttermilk Ranch Chicken Tenders
- Oven Baked BBQ Chicken
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- Herb Roasted Chicken
- One Pot Cajun Gumbo
- Creamy Tomato Bisque
- The BEST Crockpot Chili
Questions about this Honey Butter Cornbread? Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me #chefelizabethreese on Instagram, I’d love to see your creations!
Honey Butter Cornbread
- 1½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1½ Cups Yellow Cornmeal
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar (If you're not a huge fan of sweeter cornbread you can use ¼ cup instead)
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1½ Cups Milk
- ⅔ Cups Canola Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1½ Cup Creamed Corn
- 2-3 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 2-3 Tablespoons Honey
- Preheat the oven to 375℉ and grease your 9x9 baking pan, I like to use butter.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and whisk together (flour, yellow cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder, and kosher salt)
- In a separate bowl, mix all of the wet ingredients together (milk, canola oil, eggs, creamed corn)
- Slowly add the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour the cornbread mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you are using a 9x13 pan you can bake at 400℉ for about 20-25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Pour the honey butter mixture on top of the cornbread when it comes out of the oven, you may not need all of the mixture so use as much as you’d like. Enjoy!